Amalgam / Mercury Dental Filling Toxicity
Back to Holistic Healing Home Page
An often overlooked, but extremely important source of
toxic material is the mercury from silver [mercury] amalgam
fillings. Some people who are aware of the situation are
confused by the mixture of information available.
Unfortunately, statements from dental trade organizations and on a
few poorly-researched news reports have muddled the situation.
Here are a few facts about mercury amalgam fillings:
- Causes Damage to Brain in Children
In February, 1998, a group of the world's top mercury researchers
announced that mercury from amalgam fillings can
permanently damage the brain, kidneys, and immune system of children.
- Amalgam Fillings Linked to Neurological Problems, Gastrointestinal Problems
The first large-scale
epidemiological study of mercury and
adverse reactions was recently completed and showed that
of the symptoms looked at, there was a link seen to
gastrointestinal problems, sleep disturbances,
concentration problems, memory disturbances,
lack of initiative, restlessness, bleeding gums and other
- Mercury / Alzheimer's Disease Connection Found
study related to mercury and Alzheimer's Disease
was recently completed by a team of scientists led by
well-respected researcher Dr. Boyd Haley. They exposed
rats to levels of mercury vapor diluted to account for size
differences between humans and rats. The rats developed
tissue damage "indistinguishable" from that of Alzheimer's
Disease. Repeating the experiment showed the same results.
Dr. Haley is quoted as saying "I'm getting the rest of my
fillings taken out right now, and I've asked my wife to
have hers replaced too." Also see:
- Amalgam Fillings Since 1970s Unstable
The type of mercury fillings that began to be used during
the last couple of decades, non-gamma-2 (high copper),
releases many times more mercury than the older style of amalgam
fillings. Also, please see the article on the
of dental amalgam fillings by Ulf Bengsston.
- Amalgam Fillings Release Highly Toxic Elemental Mercury
Mercury is one of the most toxic substances known.
The mercury release from fillings is absorbed primarily as
highly toxic elemental mercury vapor.
- Amalgam Fillings Largest Source of Mercury By Far
Based on a number of studies in Sweden, the World Health
Organization review of inorganic mercury in 1991 determined
that mercury absorption is estimated to be approximately
four times higher from amalgam fillings than from fish
Recent studies have confirmed this estimate.
The amount absorbed can vary considerably from person to
- Gold Crowns, Gum, Bruxism, Computer Monitors Increase Release of Mercury Significantly
grinding of teeth/bruxism,
computer terminal exposure,
presence of gold fillings or gold crowns (even if covering
mercury fillings), teeth brushing, braces, and
chewing cause the
release of significantly increased amounts of mercury from
the fillings. Also, please see the following
related to increases in mercury exposure from dissimilar metals in the
mouth, exposure to magnetic fields, chewing, etc.
- Cumulative Poison and Builds Up in Organs
Mercury released from fillings
builds up in the brain,
pituitary, adrenals, and other parts of the
- Mercury Amalgam Fillings Effect Porphyrins
Preliminary results from the first
analysis (scroll half-way down) of patients who removed mercury amalgam fillings
showed a significant drop in the excretion of porphyrins
(important to heme synthesis -- heme carries oxygen to red
blood cells), as well as a number of other key biochemical
changes. Also, see the Video
of the preliminary results from the study.
- Potential Contribuatory Factor in Other Diseases
Mercury from amalgam fillings has been implicated as a possible
contribuatory factor in some cases of Multiple Sclerosis,
Parkinson's Disease, IBS, reproductive disorders,
allergies, and a variety of other illnesses.
- Mercury Build Up in Brain, Organs and Breast Milk of Fetuses of Mothers With Amalgam Fillings
Mercury from fillings in pregnant women has been shown to
mercury accumulation in brain, kidneys and liver of
human fetuses (all of the areas tested).
Studies have shown that mercury can be passed to infants
- Proper Removal of Fillings Produces Eventual Health Improvement
recent study published in the Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine
related to the proper removal of mercury amalgam fillings
from 118 subjects showed an elimination or reduction or 80% of the
classic mercury poisoning symptoms. In many cases, it took 6 to 12
months after mercury amalgam removal for the symptoms to disappear.
- World-reknowned Experts Agree About Potential Danger
In contrast to statements from dental trade organizations,
toxicologists and medical researchers are often quite
concerned about the use of mercury. Lars Friberg, the lead
toxicologist on the World Health Organization team looking
at inorganic mercury and health effects recently stated
that he believes that mercury is unsuitable for dental
materials because of safety concerns.
- Canadian Class Action Lawsuit
Canadians are in the process of beginning a major
class action lawsuit based on the fact that the government
knew of but did not warn the public about mercury dangers
from amalgam fillings. Legal actions related to mercury exposure
from mercury amalgam fillings and vaccines are beginning in the
United States. For more information and a directory of Mercury-free
dentists, please see the
Obviously, not everyone experiences acute toxicity effects from
the mercury in amalgam fillings. However, virtually everyone
does have mercury build up in their bodies from implantation
of such fillings. The large increase in mercury exposure from
the newer non-gamma-2 mercury fillings means that only time
will tell how much damage has been caused by daily exposure
to mercury to such fillings.
I do not recommend that people assume automatically that they
will be healed by the removal of amalgam fillings. Many
people are helped tremendously and some are healed. The 80%
figure for people showing improvement within a year likely
refers to people who had good reason to suspect that they were
being significantly effected by the fillings. The percentage
of people in the general population who might experience health
improvement within one year after removal is probably much
lower than 80%. I recommend going into the mercury amalgam
removal procedure knowing that, at the very least, you will
have removed yourself from a regular exposure to an extremely
toxic material such that it will not build up in your organs
and possibly cause significant health problems at a later date.
Mercury amalgam fillings should be removed only
by dentists with experience using the
IOAMT mercury amalgam removal protocol (presented with the
permission of the excellent
Preventive Dental Association web page). Such dentists are
often experienced with proper evaluation and placement of
composite fillings, both of which can be crucial for the
success of the treatment. Biocompatability tests are often
important in determining which composite materials can be
safely used. I believe that composite (plastic) fillings are
a better replacement than metal (e.g., gold) fillings even in
chemically-sensitive individuals. They are, however, not
without safety questions, but are still likely to be much
less toxic than mercury amalgam fillings. Proper placement
of composites should be left to experienced amalgam removal
dentists as the average well-meaning dentist may not be aware
of the newer placement techniques.
Further scientific information can be found at
Mercury Adverse Effects Web Page,
150 Year's of
Russian Roulette Web Page,
Alt Corp's Amalgam Page, and Bo Walhjalt's
Mercury Articles Web Page.
More information about removal, detoxification, and placement
of composite fillings can be found at
Bioprobe, Inc. and at the
Preventive Dental Association. Information about finding
a dentist practicing non-toxic dentistry can be found on the
Resources For Related to Non-Toxic Dentistry web page.
AMALGAM mailing list can be a good source of accurate, up-to-date
Back to Holistic Healing Home Page